I love plants and architecture…
here is a product that is versatile and inexpensive (site claims average $12 to $20 ft installed)
Recommended Design Strategies: Green Facade system
• Locate the green facade on the elevations exposed to the highest daily temperatures.
• Design for maximum leaf area and shade to the building wall.
• Select the optimal plant palette for maximum coverage and density in your microclimate.
• Provide for the maximum depth of soil beds or containers to ensure good coverage.
• Structure the facade system around air intake grilles.
•Consider using free-standing screens with deciduous vines to shade glazed areas in the
summer and allow solar warming in the cooler months.
Recommended Design Strategies: Living Wall system
• Locate the living wall on the elevations exposed to the highest daily temperatures.
• Provide waterproof membrane to protect the building skin if not built into LW system.
• Provide adequate load-bearing structure to support mass of soil, system, plants and
• Select plant species for maximum coverage and density with maintenance costs in mind.
• Design adequate irrigation supply and drainage according to species and orientation.